How much is a certified copy of a certificate? Certified copies of births, deaths and marriages are $10.00 for the first copy and $5.00 for each additional copy of the same record purchased at the same time.

May I write for a copy? Do I have to appear in person? You may write for a certified copy by completing the form provided. You will be required to send a copy of your valid driver's license and the fee.

How long will it take to obtain a certified copy? Requests in person usually take only a few minutes. Requests by mail are generally mailed out the same day that they are received in the Clerk's office.

Who can get a copy of a birth certificate? Birth records are confidential and are available only to the person or parents of the person named on the record. If you are an heir, legal guardian or legal representative of the person whose birth certificate you are requesting, documentation is required.

Who can get a copy of a death or marriage certificate? Yes, these are public records; by requesting the record, providing the names and dates of the event and the payment of $10.00, anyone can obtain a certified copy.

I am adopted and want a copy of my original birth certificate. Can I get this from your office? No, adopted persons' birth records are not available through the Clerk's Office. Please contact the Michigan Dept. of Community Health in Lansing (517) 335-8656 or at their website.

My parents were not married at the time of my birth. Where can I get my birth certificate? Records of birth that occurred prior to Sept. 30, 1978 where parents were not married at the time of birth must be obtained from Michigan Dept. Community Health in Lansing (517) 335-8666 or at their website.

How much does a marriage license cost? $20.00 for Montmorency County residents and $30.00 for out-of-state residents.

How long does it take to get a marriage license? How long is it good for? There is a three-day waiting period after applying for your license, and you must be married within thirty-three (33) days of the date of application.

Do both of us need to be present to apply for a marriage license? No, only one party needs to appear as long as they know the following information: Full name (first, middle, last), Birth date, Birth place (city and state), Social Security number, County of residence, How may times previously married, Parents' full names (first, middle, last), Place of birth for parents (city and state). Will also need valid driver's license or photo identification.

Where do I apply for my marriage license? You apply in the county in which one of the parties lives, and then once you have the license, you may get married anywhere in the State of Michigan. If you reside outside the State of Michigan, you must apply in the county in which you will be married.

BUSINESS NAMES/DBA (Doing Business As):

Why do I have to register my business name with the county? Michigan law requires that persons, who own, conduct or transact business in a county, register the business name in that county as a matter of public record.

If my business has been incorporated with the state, do I still need to file with the county? No, corporations, limited partnerships, limited liability companies and non-profit organizations owned by corporations do not file at the county level.

Does it cost to register my business? Yes, the fee is $10.00 and the certificate expires in 5 years.

My DBA is registered in another county, and I want to do business in another county, do I have to register my DBA name there? You are required to register your DBA name in the county where the business is located, and you may also file in another county where you do business.


Where can I apply for a passport in Montmorency County? You must apply for a passport at the Register of Deeds' office located at the County Courthouse, 12265 M-32, Atlanta, MI. 49709 (989) 785-8079. Our office accepts applications Monday-Friday, 8:30 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. (closed for lunch from 12:00 to 1:00).


Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:30 AM