If applying for a Marriage License please read the following information.
- The clerk's office will provide written educational materials.
- Blood testing or HIV counseling is no longer required.
- Michigan residents must apply in person in the county in which one of the parties apply but may be married anywhere in the state once the marriage license has been obtained.
- The fee for a Michigan resident is $20.00. There is a three-day waiting period after applying for the license, and the license must be used within thirty-three (33) days from date of application.
- An additional $25.00 will be charged for all waivers of the statutory three-day waiting period.
- Click here for a printable Affidavit form.
- Eighteen (18) is the legal age for marrying without parental consent; anyone between the ages of 18 and 21 may use a certified copy of their birth certificate or a valid driver's license for proof of age.
- Persons sixteen (16) or seventeen (17) years of age must appear with their parent or legal guardian to execute a consent form; parental identification may be required.
- Witnesses to a marriage are not required to be eighteen (18); however, they need to be able to sign their legal name and comprehend what they are witnessing.
Out of State individuals applying for Michigan marriage license: Out of state individuals applying for a Michigan license must apply for the license in the County in which they are to be married. One of the applicants needs to appear in person to apply. The application fee for out-of-state residents is $30.00. An additional $25.00 will be charged for all waivers of the statutory three-day waiting period.
Office hours are Monday-Friday 8:30 A.M. - 12:00 P.M. and 1:00 P.M. - 4:30 P.M. For more information, call the Montmorency County Clerk's office at (989) 785-8022.