After discharge from the military, it is the responsibility of the veteran to place their military discharge (form DD-214) on file with the County Clerkıs Office in the County that they reside. (The discharge may be placed on file in as many counties as the veteran desires.)

Although these records are maintained to assist veterans and their families, the general guidelines for privacy and confidentiality apply. Once on file, it is considered a confidential record and not available for public inspection.

The veteran may request a copy but must present a picture ID. All requests must comply with the following:

VETERANS AFFAIRS OFFICE: The Veteran Affairs Office is located at the County Courthouse, 12265 M-32, Atlanta, Michigan on the lower level. The office provides help to veterans and their dependants on acquiring items such as headstones, federal and state burial benefits, compensation and pension for disabled veterans and their dependents, placement in state nursing homes, educational benefits, health care services and a variety of other services available for veterans. The Veteran Affairs Office is allowed to request DD-214 and other vital records from our office for the processing of benefits for veterans. These certificates will be marked "For Official Use Only." The Veterans Affair telephone number is (989) 785-8043. You may download a form to request a DD-214 or mail your request to

Montmorency County Clerk
PO Box 789
Atlanta, MI 49709

Payment must be included along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope. You may pay by check or money order. Please do not send cash through the mail. Office Hours Monday-Friday 8:30 A.M.-12 P.M. and 1:00-4:30 P.M. For more information call the Montmorency County Clerk's office at (989) 785-8022.

Monday, May 15, 2006 3:30 AM